History of St. Saviour's

Until 1930, Harden was part of the parish of Bingley but Church of England activity in the village dates back to the building of the Old School by Walker Ferrand, who died in 1835. It was probably used for day and Sunday school teaching, and was enlarged in the 1860s. In 1865 the building was licensed for church services, and usually referred to as Harden Church. Successive curates from Bingley Parish Church were designated curate-in-charge, and Harden developed a forerunner of a Parochial Church Council, with Churchwardens and a committee appointed jointly by the curate and congregation.Plans for a new church were delayed by the effect on the village of trade recession. The mills closed and most of the population left and the services of the curate were withdrawn. 

By 1890 the situation had improved and the Vicar of Bingley set as a priority the provision of mission churches for Harden and Eldwick. The local squire, Mr. William Ferrand, gave the site and the stone. A grant from Ripon Diocese, local fund-raising and generous donations made it possible for the new church to be consecrated in September 1892, dedicated to the Saviour.

On the recommendation of a commission on the needs of the Diocese of Bradford in 1929, Harden was separated from Bingley and became a parish in 1930. Harden and Wilsden became a United Benefice in 1960. Then in on 16th July 2013 the parish of Harden was established again, this time within a newly created Benefice of Cullingworth, Denholme, Harden and Wilsden served by a Team Ministry known as the Hewenden Team Ministry. 

ST. SAVIOUR’S CHURCH

HARDEN

CURATES-IN-CHARGE               Richard  Cockrem                1873 -

Old Church,                               Nathan  Haysom                  1875 - 1880

Benefice of Bingley                   James  A  Alexander            1880 - 1882

                                                  Joseph  Whiteley                 1883 - 1884

                                                                       

New Church                               James  S Attridge                1890 – 1893

(consecrated Sept 1892)          A  Packenham  West             1893 – 1896

                                                  F  Rothwell  Dean                 1896 – 1901

       Matthew  H  Davies               1901 – 1902

       John  C  Watson                    1902 – 1910

       H  Cecil  Sandall                    1911 – 1913

       Edwin  E  Peters                    1913 – 1915

       John  H  Crick                       1915 – 1922

       Edward  K  Wicks                  1922 – 1925

       George  F  Townley               1925 – 1927

       John  S  Davies                    1927 – 1930

 

VICARS OF HARDEN                  John  S  Davies                    1930 – 1945

       William  A  Gunter                1945 – 1949

       Hugh  Prince                        1949 – 1953

       Harry  Fall                            1954 – 1957

       Ronald  E  F  Dow                 1957 – 1960

 

VICARS OF                                Stanley  G  Bennett               1961 – 1970

HARDEN & WILSDEN                Graham  W  Bettridge            1970 – 1981

                                                  Christopher  P  Johnson         1982 – 1988

       John  C  Peet                         1989 – 1997

       James  S  Scantlebury            1998 – 2002

 

PRIESTS–IN–CHARGE OF          Roger J  Brooks                     2003 – 2009

HARDEN & WILSDEN                 S  Robert  Evans                    2010 – 2013

 

TEAM RECTORS OF                    S  Robert  Evans                    2013 -

HARDEN and WILSDEN,

DENHOLME and CULLINGWORTH